We are subject to natural radiation all day long, both indoor and out. The sun is our most important natural source of radiation, i.e. sunlight. We are use to it and most of it is harmless but not all radiation is safe or beneficial.
Most of what I have learned has come from my patients. Being in the trenches everyday challenges practitioners to continue to learn and grow in their understanding of what makes us sick and how we get well.
It is no different with wireless technology and its potential health hazards. It began about 10 years ago when I met my first patient who told me they lived in a home without electricity, used carbon based paint and other shielding on their walls, dressed in protective clothing, and rarely ventured outside of their home. I admit, I first thought this person may need a therapist more than a functional medicine practitioner. But the stories grew and the patients spoke of unexplained and idiopathic symptoms such as:
- ringing in the ears,
- pain in the teeth,
- itching, swelling, rashes, night sweats, pain or burning in the eyes and many sensitivities especially light and sound.
At around the same time, my mentor, Dietrich Klinghardt, M.D., Ph.D began speaking out about electro-magnetic radiation and reminded us how the brain is a gland (biochemistry) and a bio-computer (electricity) and that a healthy brain has normal levels of hormones, neuro-peptides and nutrients, as well as normal electrical activity, normal blood inflow and outflow and lymphatic drainage in all of its parts. The brain also has has a blood brain barrier. In 2008, at the "Healing the Brain" conference, Dr. Klinghardt presented the cause of most current chronic states of illness were due to sub-threshold infections (such as mold, borrelia, chlamydia, herpes, Epstein Barr, etc) which grow in a disturbed or polluted environment. In one research experiment a mold culture was exposed to EMR (electrical magnetic radiation) while the other was not. The one exposed to EMR had 600 times more toxic biotoxins and its growth rate was dozens of times faster. For patients dealing with mold toxicity, it has become essential to do home hygiene and address wireless technology. It appears EMF may not only harm our body’s cells but it may also be impacting the microbes within each of us. This bioaccumulation of xenobiotics, heavy metals and microbial biotoxins. has a correlation with the expanded use of cell phone radiation and other sources of EMR. Research shows the microbes perceive these wireless frequencies as a threat or attack and respond with an increased output of biotoxins and increased virulence of their toxins. In 2010, at the conference on Autism held by the Klinghardt Academy of Neurobiology, Dr. Klinghardt addressed electrosmog and autism. There has been a 60-fold increase in ASD Autism Spectrum Disorders in recent years, which cannot be accounted for by improvements in diagnostic methods and can only be explained by changes in the environment. The increase corresponds in time to the proliferation of mobile telecommunications, WiFi, and microwave ovens as well as extremely low frequency fields from household wiring and domestic appliances. Dr. Klinghardt taught how the effects of electromagnetic radiation impact the unborn child and focused on two parameters: 1. The sleeping location of the pregnant mom-to-be, and 2. The sleeping location of the infant after birth When Dr, klinghardt began treating autistic children he noticed what was missing in the conventional approach was a complete lack of understanding how electromagnetic fields may be contributing. Dr. Klinghardt did a pilot study where they went back to where the Mom was sleeping when they were pregnant with their now diagnosed autistic child and found the average exposure of an autistic child to a non-autistic child was 20 fold higher of the combination of low frequency EMF (from household currents) and the exposure to microwave from incoming cell phone radiation was difference of 20 to 1. The body acts like an antennae for ambient electric fields and builds up electric tension against the ground. Since our neurons operate at voltages between 80 and 120 milliVolt (mV), the threshold at which artificially induced body voltage interferes with our normal physiology is at a level at or about 80 mV. The higher the body voltage, the worse damage to the developing neuronal networks, to cell signaling mechanisms, the epi-genome, the cell membrane and interruption or stimulation of cell signaling molecules and damage to the DNA itself. Microwave exposure of the infant after birth. Anything over 1 microWatt/square meter in the sleeping location is expected to cause biological, immunological, physiological and neurological consequences. The higher, the more devastating. Known biomedical effects include:
- Decrease in pineal function with decreased melatonin production (insomnia, lowered immune status)
- Opens blood-brain Barrier
- Autism and other neuro-developmental disorders in exposed infants
- Increased leukemia and cancer rates
- Brian fog, fatigue, short term memory loss
- Synergistic effect with all other types of radiation
- Disturbs all known intrinsic rhythms(EEG, Heart rate variability, breathing pattern,
- 24 hour meridian activity
- Bowel movements
- Synergistic effect with other fields, increases mold growth and mycotoxin production in homes
- Lowered immune status (decreased IL-10, increased IL-1, IL-6, decreased NK cell activity
How may EMR be affecting our physiology?
We have Dr. Martin Pall to thank for his pioneering research in this area. He is professor emeritus of Washington State University, trained in physics, biochemistry from Johns Hopkins University and California Institute of Technology. Dr. Poll’s research show that EMR’s work by activating what are called "voltage-gated calcium channels." These are channels in the outer membrane of the cell which detect electrical changes across the plasma membrane and open the channel. Because of the structure of the voltage sensor and its location in the plasma membrane it’s extraordinarily sensitive to the electrical forces from EMF’s. The forces are approximately 7.2 million times stronger on the voltage sensor than they are on single charged electrical groups. When they are activated they open up and allow calcium to flow into the cell. It’s the excess calcium in the cell which is responsible for most if not all of the biological effects. When calcium is out of balance, which it is in diseases like cancer and arthritis, and probably in all diseases to some extent, there are 10,000 chemical reactions that also become faulty. The inward leakage of calcium ions from electromagnetic fields also opens the various tight junction barriers in our bodies that normally protect us from allergens and toxins in the environment and prevent toxic materials in the bloodstream from entering sensitive parts of the body such as the brain. The opening of the blood-brain barrier has been shown to cause the death of neurons and can be expected to result in early dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. The opening of the barrier in our respiratory epithelia by electromagnetic fields has been shown to increase the risk of asthma in children. The opening of other barriers, such as the gut barrier allows foreign materials from the gut to enter the bloodstream, which may also promote allergies and has been linked to autoimmune diseases. The industry has been claiming for at least 25 years that ionizing radiation is dangerous, but this non-ionizing radiation can’t do anything. We don’t have to worry about it at all. Now we know the mechanism of impact with the voltage-gated calcium channels and the increase in calcium signaling.
Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy, MSc PhD
His interest in the biological effects of electromagnetic fields dates back over 30 years. Dr. Goldsworthy draws attention to the similarity between the symptoms of electrosensitivity and those of low blood calcium (Hypocalcemia). The symptoms of hypocalcaemia are very similar to those of electromagnetic intolerance such as: skin disorders, pins and needles, numbness, sensations of burning, fatigue, muscle cramps, cardiac arrhythmia, g.I. problems and others. His work suggests electromagnetic fields and low blood calcium are removing structural calcium from cell membranes to produce similar physiological effects. The ELF frequencies that give damaging biological effects as measured by calcium release from brain slices and ornithine decarboxylase production in tissue cultures lie between 6Hz and 600Hz. Virtually all digital mobile telecommunications systems use pulses within this range. In February 2013, Dr. Goldsworthy advised Parliament on the potential risks and dangers as a result of Smart Meters and the impact of EMR on the autistic. Dr. Goldsworthy is an Honorary Lecturer in Biology at Imperial College London. He retired from full time teaching in 2004.
Silver fillings in your mouth? Are you at greater risk?
What is Electrohypersensitivity?
The electrohypersensitive people have their own handicap organization, The Swedish Association for the Electrohypersensitive (http://www.feb.se; the website has an English version).
There are electronic instruments which are very objective but cannot predict the biological effect. -
- Radiasthesia (very subjective, only 2-8 of hundred practitioners accurate
- ART Autonomic Response Testing – Very reliable in the hands of well trained practitioners
- Heart Rate Variability (measures accurately the bological effect of the field in this particular location on this particular organism
- Psychoenergetic Energetics developed by Reimar Banis, MD, ND
The keyboards of laptop computers send dangerous radiation into your hands! Solution: Attach an external keyboard.
2. Exercising on a treadmill raises blood sugar markedly because of the EMF’s! Solution: Exercise out-of-doors.
3. Compact fluorescent light bulbs give off high levels of EMF’s! Solution: Stock up on incandescent bulbs or change to quartz halogen
4. Teachers in “hot rooms” in schools (computer labs especially) took far more “sick” days than other teachers! Solution: Get out of computer labs! General solution:
Buy a Gauss meter and take measurements of EMF’s at home and school.
5. Hire an environmental consultant
7. Meter – Cornet ED88& – Under $200 Amazon
Purchase filters for electrical outlets that block dirty electricity. Remove all computers, plasma TVs and wireless phones from the bedroom
The dangers of Electro-magnetic fields–EMF, EMR, Electrosmog—are now widely recognized as a serious 21st century health threat by the American Academy of Pediatrics, Consumer Report, The Cleveland Clinic and independent researchers from Harvard, Columbia and Yale.
What Can You DO?
- Create a sleep sanctuary. Our brains glymphatic system removes toxic waste at night
- Metal free mattress & bedframe
- Sleep sanctuary or turn off the fuses
- Take rosemary, propolis, melatonin, magnesium
- No alarm systems,
- Put your phone in airplane mode
- Lower exposure – limit wireless including Xbox 360, smart chips, smart meters, Alexa, have digital detox days
- Get rid of cordless phones and replace with corded phones
- Use a voice-activated baby monitor
- Avoid compact florescent lightbulbs
- Do not live within 300-400 yards of cell phone towers
- Use Essential oils, shunghite, structured water, build your energy body and support your immune system
- Avoid use of electric blankets and waterbeds
- Lighting: Try to work with the florescent tube lighting turned off. Remove CFL from your work area
- Have a qualified technician measure your home and workplace for electrosmog
3508 Asbury Avenue
Neptune, NJ 07753
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/doi/10.1111/cdev.12824/full https://www.jackkruse.com/emf-5-what-are-the-biologic-effects-of-emf/ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2267306/ http://antennasearch.com/ GOLDSWORTHY, A 1984 The cell electric. New Scientist 102 (1407), 14-15. http://nontinfoilemf.com/ https://lessemf.com/ http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2011/pdfs/pr208_E.pdf http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2006/04/20/mobile_and_wireless_largest_biological_experiment.htm#